Welcome!

Welcome to Maloff's Musings - the 2020 version!

I am Joel Maloff and am currently on the newest adventure of my lengthy career and adulthood - the pursuit of the Doctor of Computer Science degree with a focus on cybersecurity from Colorado Technical University. Although I have been in the world of full-time work since completing my Bachelor of Science degree from Towson University in 1973 and completed my Master Of Science in Management degree from Colorado Technical University in 2008, I had thought that I was finished with formal education and would continue with my business career until I accepted that it was time to retire.

As the reality of retirement came closer, I realized that I wanted to continue teaching and also to continue expanding my "higher-order thinking skills (HOTS)" so I made the decision to pursue a doctorate degree.

For CS875 - Futuring and Innovation, we were asked to create a blog using Blogspot. I resurrected an old name that I had used to write a column for VON Magazine and discovered that I still had a Blogspot active under the Maloff's Musings name! Here is a link to one of my postings in 2009 - https://maloffsmusings.blogspot.com/2009/09/sip-trunking-and-role-of-telecom.html

As I have extended my knowledge and experience from my career in telecommunications, information systems security, and cloud computing, I am now continuing to broaden my interests from an academic perspective. The classes that I am required to attend at CTU in preparation for the creation of a dissertation have been very helpful and have forced me to move beyond the practical everyday responsibilities of my full-time job to consideration of theory, the difference between qualitative and quantitative research, and the implications of future innovations. I will use this blog space to post topics and commentary that are of interest to me and possibly to you.

My current working topic for the dissertation is Medical Device Network Security Perceptions of Four Groups: A Phenomenological Study. In my current role as Chief Compliance Officer for Phone.com, a Unified Communications as a Service (UCaaS) provider, I am familiar with the requirements that HIPAA imposes on both medical providers (Covered Entities) and those organizations that assist covered entities but do not create protected health information (PHI) and are called Business Associates. I began thinking about the security and privacy of healthcare information that uses networking to connect implantable devices into people and then share that information with remote medical facilities. Where is the potential security or privacy vulnerability? Is anyone considering the end to end protection of these systems or associated data? Projections have indicated that 40% of Internet of Things (IoT) devices are healthcare-related as of this year (2020), including heart rate monitors, implanted medical dispensers, and pacemakers. All of these are vulnerable to hacking or even ransomware attacks (Anandarajan & Malik, 2018). My research is underway and will determine if this is a viable topic for the research associated with a dissertation.

Similarly, I anticipate the exploration of other topics pertaining to innovation and the future during this session. I will update this blog with areas that I find to be of interest.


References
Anandarajan, M., & Malik, S. (2018). Protecting the Internet of medical things: A situational crime-prevention approach. Cogent Medicine, 5(1). doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/2331205X.2018.1513349

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CS875 - Unit 4 Discussion Board 2 - Innovation, Serendipity, Error, and Exaptation

CS875 - Group Decision-Making: Delphi vs MCDM

CS875 - Artificial Intelligence and Human Intelligence